Texas woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from oysters in Louisiana

Texas woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria from oysters in Louisiana

The woman was infected with Vibrio, a flesh-eating bacteria.

Jeanette LeBlanc died on October 15, 2017 after battling the infection for three weeks.

In September 2017, Jeanette LeBlanc went with her family and friends to the coast of Louisiana.

Dousing oysters with hot sauce or lemon or consuming them with alcohol also will not protect from the vibriosis virus.

"About 36 hours later she started having extreme respiratory distress, had a rash on her legs and everything", Bergquist told KLFY, a local CBS affiliate. The woman's condition got worse in the first 48 hours after eating the raw oysters.

CDC estimates that vibriosis causes 80,000 illnesses each year in the United States.

There are approximately 80,000 vibriosis infections in the USA every year, according to the CDC. Barbarite explained that it gets into the bloodstream if a person has a pre-existing cut, eats at raw, contaminated seafood or chug a whole lot of infected water.

Most infections occur when water temperatures are warmer.

Some of the condition's symptoms include vomiting, rashes, and diarrhea.

What is Vibrio Vulnificus and Should You Be Concerned?

Bergquist and Bowers are now working together to help raise awareness of flesh-eating bacteria. The disease can be caused by several types of bacteria.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention says people are at greater risk of contracting vibrio if they expose open wounds to brackish water or consume raw or under-cooked shellfish.

U.S. Food Safety advises against eating of raw oysters and provided tips on preparing and cooking them.

According to the CDC, the victim's family was at the wrong place at the wrong time. She was hospitalized for three weeks after doctors diagnosed her with vibrio. Severe cases like LeBlanc's can result in death. "Most people don't last", Bowers said of her friend.

The CDC and other health departments have warned that the only way to kill bacteria is to properly cook oysters. That fact was enough to convince him never to eat raw shellfish. Severe cases-like LeBlanc's-can be fatal. Whether or not wading in partially salty water or eating raw seafood are worth the risk is an individual decision.