Global News

Chaos In Gujarat Assembly, Congress Lawmaker Throws Mic At BJP Leader

Chaos In Gujarat Assembly, Congress Lawmaker Throws Mic At BJP Leader

Congress MLA Pratap Dudhat, who allegedly hit BJP member Jagdish Panchal with the microphone, and his colleague Amrish Der, who disobeyed speaker Rajendra Trivedi's orders, have been suspended for three years. "In fact, later when we were out of the House, Congress MLA Baldev Thakor threatened to break my legs".

The incident was ensued when the debate on point of order raised by deputy CM Nitin Patel was discussed.

Senior Congress legislator Vikram Madam tried to raise a question and participate in the issue but was repeatedly shouted down by the members from treasury benches.

The speaker ruled that such point of order - as sought by Madam - can not be raised. The Congress MLA from Rajula Amrish Der came into a defence of Madam and made his voice louder to which BJP members countered with hooting in-house. Misdoings of Congress MLAs Vikram Madam, Pratap Dudhat and Ambrish Der have been recorded by the CCTV cameras in the House and we are going to request the Speaker to make it accessible to the media. This enraged Congress MLA from Savar Kundla Pratap Dudhat and he broke the mike from the desk and hurled at Panchal.

The Speaker also adjourned the House for 15 minutes.

"This is a very unfortunate incident".

The Congress members will demand the resignations of all the defected MLAs as well, so that they could go to the people to seek fresh mandate. But the Speaker ruled that such points of order were not allowed. "There were women legislators sitting there and I am willing to resign as a legislator if it is proved that I did speak foul words", he said.

The session, which began on February 28 and will run till March 31, has been acrimonious at large.

According to party sources, soon after the Speaker announced dismissal of Komatireddy Venkat Reddy and S A Sampath Kumar and suspension of 11 others, the Congress MLAs had a brainstorming meeting at the CLP meeting hall to decide their future course of action. The speaker revoked the suspension in the second half of the day after the Congress' chief whip tendered an apology.

"The opposition party members started the ruckus and resorted to violence in the House".