Global News

Longtime Trump aide fired over security clearance issue

Longtime Trump aide fired over security clearance issue

John McEntee, the former UConn quarterback whose trick shot video became a viral sensation in 2011, was sacked from his job as personal assistant to President Donald Trump on Monday, according to multiple reports. McEntee's role was described as "body man", always staying by Trump's side.

McEntee escorted from the White House on Monday, three sources with knowledge of the matter told CNN. McEntee was escorted from the White House on Monday after he was sacked over security concerns, two sources familiar with the matter told the Journal.

White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters declined to discuss the situation with the Journal, saying, "We do not comment on personnel matters". Mr. McEntee didn't return a call seeking comment.

The Trump campaign also announced on Tuesday that McEntee would rejoin the team as a senior advisor for operations.




Trump's personal assistant - also known as a body man - McEntee accompanied the president nearly everywhere and had been an aide for him since early in the campaign. The role meant McEntee was almost constantly at the President's side.

A source tells CNN's Kaitlan Collins that "McEntee was sacked because he is now under investigation by the Department of Homeland Security for serious financial crimes", although the source also emphasizes that these potential crimes are "not Trump related".

Trump reelection campaign manager Brad Parscale announced McEntee's hire alongside that of Katrina Pierson, a Trump campaign spokesperson in 2016 who will join the 2020 campaign as a senior adviser.