Global News

Video shows United States marshal fatally shooting defendant who rushed witness stand

Video shows United States marshal fatally shooting defendant who rushed witness stand

In the video the officer is seen reaching for her gun and firing four shots at Angilau.

In this image capture from video provided to CBS Salt Lake City affiliate KUTV, Siale Angilau, center, rushes the witness stand in a federal courtroom in 2014.

"When you have a jury, you always want the defendant to appear like he is in regular, you know, civilian clothes, that he's not in handcuffs, that he has a fair shot at being treated fairly by the justice system", Tolman told the station.

Simultaneously, a marshal fires four fatal shots: "Bang, bang, bang, bang!"

The video shows the deputy US marshal, identified in court documents only as Jane Doe, unholster her gun and fire four quick shots at Angilau while backing up.

"The video completely contradicts the plaintiffs" argument that Angilau stopped posing a danger within less than one second of launching himself over the witness stand while making a stabbing motion with a pen in his hand, ' Dowdell wrote in a statement obtained by Deseret News.

The unidentified United States marshal was cleared of any wrongdoing by the Federal Bureau of Investigation shortly after the shooting and a review board found the use of force was within agency policy.

Tenifa is standing feet away from where Angilau lands in the witness box, the video shows.

A judge dismissed an excessive force case against an officer after he shot and killed a defendant, who hurled himself at a witness who was testifying. "There was no necessity to use force", Sykes said. "They weren't entitled to use the death penalty on him for an assault".

The Angilau family attorney, Bob Sykes, said Monday morning he had not yet had an opportunity to discuss an appeal with his clients but hoped to do so "shortly".

He was in court after being one of 17 people named in a 29-count racketeering indictment filed in 2008, which accused gang members of conspiracy, assault, robbery and weapons offenses. Angilau was the last person to be tried, as previous defendants were sentenced to 10 to 30 years behind bars.

Faces of nearly all the people present inside the courtroom at the time, including the judge is blurred in the video.

The news outlets that pursued release of the video include The Salt Lake Tribune, print and broadcast outlets from Salt Lake City, the Utah Headliners Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and The Associated Press.

Department of Justice attorneys said the media organizations wanted the video to "sell newspapers".

They were allowed to view the video but not release it.