Global News

Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot

Man rushed to hospital after shark attack at surf spot

He was treated on the beach by paramedics before being flown 160 miles by helicopter to a hospital in Perth, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

Surf Life Saving WA had noted several sightings of sharks in the area, including a four-metre shark off Lefthanders, near where the attack happened, this morning.

The attack prompted the World Surf League (WSL) to temporarily postpone the nearby Margaret River Pro surfing contest, with lifeguards having spotted a 13-foot-long shark just off a nearby beach two hours later.

Opposition Leader Mike Nahan said the attack would make global news because of the Pro event.

"We have been alerted of a shark incident that occurred near Gracetown", organisers said on Monday.

In a statement posted to its Facebook page following the incident, the WSL said it had made a decision to suspend the competition for an hour after "discussions with local authorities".

"The safety of our surfers and staff is a top priority for the WSL".

At 10am, the WSL said the competition would resume as normal.

He said the incident emphasised the need to do more, including using SMART drumlines, rather than the Labor government's subsidised shark deterrent devices.

Surf photographer Peter Jovic saw the attack from the beach and said there were only about five people in the water at the time.

The surfer was knocked off his board before being thrashed around, a witness said.

'There was a lot more thrashing around. "After that it was hard to see what was going on". He was airlifted to hospital for treatment.

Fisheries scientists from Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development will inspect the surfboard that was being used by the injured surfer.

A shark attack on a surfer in Australia has forced the temporary suspension of an worldwide surfing competition.

Fanning survived after a shark lunged at him during a final at the Open World Surf League event in 2015.

"It was a large shark and from the way it was behaving, it would have been a white pointer".